This article demonstrates how to set up BGP routing between two Vigor Routers which are connecting on the WAN. Suppose the two routers both have several routing subnets, and we would like them to exchange the routing information with each other. In this example, we use a different Autonomous System (AS) number for each router to make them External BGP (eBGP) peers.Note: The BGP peers with the same AS number are referred to as Internal BGP (iBGP) peers, and to as External BGP (eBGP) peers if they have different AS number. The main difference between iBGP and eBGP is that routes learned from an eBGP peer will be re-advertised to both iBGP peers and eBGP peers. However, routes learned from an iBGP peer will only be re-advertised to eBGP peers.
1. Go to Routing >> BGP, in the Basic Settings tab,
2. Edit the Neighbor Setup as follows:
3. Go to the Static Network page, enter the IP address and Subnet Mask of the local subnet you want to advertise.
4. Go to Routing >> BGP, set up Basic Settings, Neighbor and Static Network similarly, here we use a different AS number to make the routers External BGP (eBGP) peers.
5. You should see "Established" at Neighbor Status after the route announced the routing information to each other.
6. At Diagnostics >> Routing Table, we should see the routing information to the IP range on the peer router, and the routes learnt are marked B, which stands for BGP.
1. Go to Routing >> BGP Configuration >> BGP Configuration tab
2. Go to the Neighbor tab and add a profile as follows:
3. Similarly, go to Routing >> BGP Configuration >> BGP Configuration tab and to edit the AS number and Static Network. Don't forget to use a different AS number.
4. Go to Neighbor tab to add a profile of the peer router.
5. With the configuration above, if both the routers are connected, you should see "established" at the Neighbor Status tab.
6. At Diagnostics >> Routing Table, we can check if the router has learned the routing information about the peer's LAN network.
7. And if a subnet was deleted from Static Network, the routing table of the BGP Neighbor should change accordingly.
Was this helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Help us improve?