OpenDNS provides the free Family Shield service that helps screen out potentially objectionable content that you may prefer not to see or don't want others in your family to stumble across. To use the service, we need to use Open DNS IP 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 as the DNS server IP. The example below will show how to configure Vigor3900 to use the OpenDNS as the DNS server and block specific LAN clients from using other DNS servers, thus to make them be protected by the Family Shield service.
1. Assign OpenDNS server IP to LAN DHCP Clients: Go to LAN >> General Setup, and click on the LAN profile in use.
18.104.22.168, and click Save
2. Create IP objects for Open DNS server IP. Go to Objects Setting >> IP Object, and click Add to create a new profile.
22.214.171.124for Start IP Address
3. Similarly, create another IP object for another Open DNS server IP. Go to Objects Setting >> IP Object, and click Add to create a new profile.
126.96.36.199for Start IP Address
4. Create an IP object for the LAN PC's IP that you would like to protect. Go to Objects Setting >> IP Object, and click Add to create a new profile.
5. Go to Firewall >> IP Filter, and click Add to create an IP Filter Group profile.
6. Create a Firewall IP Filter rule to pass all packets to the OpenDNS server IP address. Go to Firewall >> IP Filter >> Child_Protect, and click Add to create an IP Filter rule.
7 Create another Firewall IP Filter rule to block the DNS packets from Child PC's IP address to any other IP address. Go to Firewall >> IP Filter >> Child_Protect, and click Add to create an IP Filter rule.
8. After completing the above configurations, Child's PC won't be able to query other DNS servers about domain names. They can only use the OpenDNS FamilySheild server.
9. While the child tries to browse a website that contains content improper for children, it will be blocked by OpenDNS Family Shield service
Was this helpful?
Thank you for your feedback :)
Sorry about that. Contact Support if you need further assistance, or leave us some comments below to help us improve.