How to connect Vigor Router with VigorAP by WDS mode?
This document will demonstrate how to build WDS connection between VigorAP and Vigor Router. With WDS mode, we can place the AP at the location where the cable can not be easily deployed. Furthermore, the LAN clients can connect to the AP not only through the wireless signal, but also with the wire connection. WDS mode makes the user to construct the network coverage with more flexibility when placing the router and AP.
We will demonstrate the construction of WDS connection between Vigor2860ac and VigorAP 900 in the following paragraph.
Checking the MAC Address
Login to the Vigor Router and VigorAP, go to System Maintenance >> System Status page and keep the MAC address of the router and AP in mind. Its will be used later.
Configuration on Vigor Router
1. Log into Vigor Router's WUI.
2. Go to Wireless LAN >> General Setup page, Enable the Wireless LAN. Type in a name for SSID 1; choose a wireless Channel and keep the channel in mind. Click OK to save the settings.
3. Go to Wireless LAN >> Security page to set the security mode. Choose the WPA2/PSK as security Mode, type in the Pre-shared Key, click OK to save the settings.
4. Go to Wireless LAN >> WDS page to configure the WDS settings:
- Choose the Bridge Mode.
- Choose Pre-shared Key as the Security.
- Choose WPA2 as Type and enter the Pre-shared key, which is used for WDS connection independently.
- Type in the MAC address of the AP then Enable this MAC address.
- Enable Send "Hello" Message to peers.
- Click OK to save the settings.
Now, we have finished the configuration on Vigor Router, please follow the next paragraph to set up the AP.
Configuration on VigorAP
1. Log into the WUI of VigorAP.
2. Go to Operation mode page, choose AP Bridge – WDS and click OK.
3. Go to LAN >> General Setup page:
- Disable the DHCP client.
- Enter an IP address within the LAN subnet of Vigor Router into the IP Address box.
- Enter the Subnet Mask same as the Vigor Router subnet.
- Set the Default Gateway as the IP address of Vigor Router.
- Click OK to save the setting.
4. Go to Wireless LAN >> General Setup page,
- Enable Wireless LAN, choose the same channel as the Vigor Router.
- Give a name for the first SSID (it is not necessary to match the name on the Vigor Router).
- Go to PHY Mode: HTMIX form, choose AES as the security.
- Type in the Pre-shared key which is set on the previous step on the Vigor Router.
- Enter MAC address of the Vigor Router as the Peer MAC Address.
- Click OK to save.
5. Go to Wireless LAN >> Security page, choose the WPA2/PSK as security Mode and the AES as WPA Algorithm. Type the wireless password as Pass Phrase. Then, click OK to save the settings.
To check the connection status, we can go to the WUI of Vigor Router, visit the Wireless LAN >> WDS page and click the Link Status button to check whether the WDS connection is up. The Status Code "U" in front of the MAC address of VigorAP indicates the connection is active.