Windows with Smart VPN Client to Vigor Router – IPsec
The Smart VPN Client is a VPN configuration utility. It makes VPN configuration easy for users. It can support the following VPN schemas, PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, and DrayTek SSL Tunnel.
This document introduces “Under windows system, how to use IPSec mode over smart VPN client to connect to the Vigor Router”
Vigor Router Setup
1. Go to VPN and Remote Access >> IPsec General Setup, enter Pre-shared Key and confirm it again, then click OK
2. Go to VPN and Remote Access >> Remote Dial-in User, and click an available Index
3. Set up IPsec profile for the remote dial-in user and click OK to save
a. Enable this account
b. Make sure IPsec Tunnel is enable
c. Click OK
Note: Specify Remote Node to increase security by letting only the designated IP connection to the server with the customized Pre-Shared Key.
VPN Client Setup
4. Open Smart VPN Client on the VPN client, and click Profiles >> Add
5.Set up VPN profile as follows
a. Enter Profile Name
b. Select IPSec Tunnel
c. Enter VPN Server's IP
d. Set up the VPN side’s remote subnet and remote subnet mask
e. Set up Pre-shared Key
f. Click OK
6. Click Active to establish the tunnel
7. Click OK to start dialing
Active the IPSec connection
8. Due to IPSec's settings, it will not automatically enable the connection.
Therefore, we need to initiate the connection of this IPSec by transmitting the packet to the VPN side.
Pinging the router's LAN IP address is a very simple and effective way to active the IPSec connection.
Network Administrator may also check the online VPN clients by going to VPN and Remote Access >> Connection Management