How to use APP Enforcement?
What is APP Enforcement?
APP Enforcement (APPE) helps network administrator to block applications (IM/P2P/Protocol/Others) on LAN network. The following example shows how to set up APP Enforcement to block LAN clients from using PPTV service.
Set up APP Enforcement
1. Create an APP Enforcement Profile: Click on an Index number to create a new profile at CSM >> APP Enforcement Profile
2. Set up the details in the profile.
- Enter Profile Name
- Choose the category/APP which you want to block.
- Click OK to save
3. Apply the APP Enforcement Profile to a Firewall Filter Rule: Go to Firewall >> Filter Setup >> Filter Set 2
4. Click on a Filter Rule number to set up a filter.
5. Set up the details in the profile.
- Enable the Filter Rule.
- Select the Direction as LAN/DMZ/RT/VPN -> WAN
- Edit the Source IP to which should be blocked from the APP.
- Select Filter as Pass Immediately.
- Select APP Enforcement as the profile we created in Step 2.
- You may also check the Syslog if needed.
- Click ‘OK’ to save.
6. With the above configuration, LAN clients with IP address 192.168.1.10 will not be able to use PPTV.
7. If "syslog" is enabled the firewall rule, we will see the following message in syslog when APP Enforcement is working.