- Home »
- FAQ »
- Miscellaneous »
- Application »
- How to notify Network Administrator by SMS message when the events occur (e.g.: WAN and VPN disconnect / reconnect)?
How to notify Network Administrator by SMS message when the events occur (e.g.: WAN and VPN disconnect / reconnect)?
Vigor Router can send the SMS message to notify the network administrator when encounters some circumstances, including:
- WAN disconnect / reconnect
- VPN disconnect / reconnect
- Temperature Alert, when the value of attached thermometer out of setting range
- WAN budget, when reach the WAN budget limit
- Central VPN Management: CPE offline, CPE config backup / restore fail, CPE firmware upgrade fail, and CPE VPN profile setup fail
- High Availability, when the WAN of primary router failed and the secondary router take over, configuration sync between primary and secondary router fail, and one of the routers becomes unstable
We take WAN and VPN disconnect and reconnect for example in the following paragraphs.
(This setup applies to most of the models. For Vigor3900, Vigor2960, and Vigor300B, please refer to the article here.)
(If you are using LTE model, and you want to send the SMS through the inserted SIM card, please skip step 1 and 2.)
1. Set SMS service provider object, go to Objects Setting >> SMS / Mail Service Object page, click one of the empty indexes.
Note: Index 1 to 8 allow to choose the built-in SMS provider. If the desired SMS provider is not on the list, click index 9 or 10 to configure a customized SMS service provider.
2. Enter or select the following information: Profile Name, Service Provider, Username, Password, Quota, Sending Interval. Click OK to save.
Note: Set the Sending Interval to avoid from receiving too many messages. If there are multiple incidents occur within the interval time, router will only send one message instead of reporting each incident.
3. Set notification object, go to Object Setting >> Notification Object page, select one of the empty indexes.
4. Enter Profile Name, select the events that router should notify the network administrator. In this example, we enable the Disconnected and Reconnected status of WAN and VPN Tunnel, click OK to save.
5. Set the recipient, go to Applications >> SMS / Mail Alert Service page, select one of indexes, select SMS provider as the one created in step 1 and 2, enter Recipient number, choose Notify Profile as the one created in step 3 and 4, click OK to save.
Note: If setting WAN disconnect notification on the router only have one WAN connection, the notification will be sent out after WAN reconnects successfully. If you are using LTE model, and you want to send the SMS through the inserted SIM card, please choose LTE modem as the SMS provider.
How to customize the SMS provider?
Go to Object Settings >> SMS/ Mail Service Object, select Index 9 or 10, which are reserved for customization SMS provider.
Enter Service Provider, type the API URL String provided by the SMS Provider, but replace the actual username with ###txtUser###, password with ###txtPwd###, destination phone number with ##txtDest###, and text content with ###txtMsg###. And enter Username, Password, Quota and Sending Interval, click OK to save, then you can choose this index for SMS provider.