- Home »
- FAQ »
- Miscellaneous »
- Application »
- How to forward DNS queries to a private DNS server for certain domain names only?
How to forward DNS queries to a private DNS server for certain domain names only?
Network Administrator may use a private DNS server to resolve internal hostnames; however, forwarding all the DNS queries to that private DNS server might be inefficient. In such cases, we may use Conditional DNS Forwarding so that only specific domain names will be resolved by the private DNS server.
To setup Conditional DNS Forwarding, please go to Applications >> LAN DNS / DNS Forwarding, and click on an Index number to add/edit a profile:
- Go to Conditional DNS Forwarding tab.
- Enable this profile.
- Enter Profile name
- Enter the Domain Name you would like to forward the DNS query.
- Enter DNS Server IP Address.
- Click OK to save the profile.
To verify this function, we use LAN Port Mirror to mirror the WAN packets to a LAN port which has a PC running Wireshark connected to it. From the captured packets, we can see when the LAN client sends DNS query for “www.example.com” to a public DNS server, the request will be forwarded to the DNS server at IP “100.100.100.100”.