- Home »
- FAQ »
- Management »
- System Maintenance »
- How to use 2-Step Authentication and mOTP to login router?
How to use 2-Step Authentication and mOTP to login router?
Support Model : Vigor2860 Series
2-step authentication and mOTP (mobile one-time password) are the common security mechanism built on the online shopping, financial and banking websites, which may content the bank account information or credit card numbers. These safety measures will require the user to not only enter the username and password, but also the code which sent to the specific phone number or mail address, or generated by the pre-configured software, to confirm the identity of the personnel.
Vigor router also supports these methods to provide more secure network construction. This document demonstrates how to set the 2-Step Authentication or mOTP up to protect remote WebUI against non authenticated user. It will allow the administrator who not only has the password but also completes the authentication to login.
In order to allow the network administrator to manage the router remotely, go to System Maintenance >> Management page, enable Allow management from the Internet. Please refer to this article: How to manage Vigor Router remotely? for further information.
When someone attempt to login, 2-Step Authentication will send the OTP to the telephone number or email address which set in the router's configuration. We will need to set up the SMS or Mail Service Object first.
For setting SMS service profile, go to Objects Setting >> SMS / Mail Service Object >> SMS Provider page, click an available Index. Configure the following information: Profile Name, Service Provider, Username, Password, Quota and Sending Interval, then click OK to save.
For setting Mail Service profile, go to Objects Setting >> SMS / Mail Service Object >> Mail Server page, click an available Index. Configure the following information: Profile Name, SMTP server, SMTP port, Username, Password and Sending Interval, then click OK to save.
1. Go to System Maintenance >> Administrator Password Setup page,
- EnableUse only advanced authentication method for Admin “WAN” login
- Choose 2-Step Authentication
- Select the SMS, Mail or both, depends on which media you would like to use to send the code
- Click OK to save
2. Now, when you access the router UI from the internet, you will need to enter the Authentication code which will be sent to you by clicking the Get Code button.
1. Install a mOTP APP (e.g., mOTP - mobile OneTimePasswords) on your smart phone.
2. Create a new profile, you can define 4 digits PIN code and 16 digits Secret, then click Save.
3. Go to System Maintenance >> Administrator Password Setup page, enter the same PIN Code and same Secret (you defined in step 2).
3. To generate the one time password, enter the same PIN Code on the app, then click Generate.
You can login to your router from the internet with this one time password, which is valid for one minute. You will need to generate the password again if the password expired.